Saturday, May 22, 2010

Yummy Snack

The very talented chefs, Spencer and Heidi (not that Speidi), came over last Friday night for a drink and to pick up SF Giants baseball tickets. They had catered my birthday party last year and as a Thank You! Mike and I gave them some tickets.

I wanted to serve something to nibble on and still feeling alittle weakened I wanted to keep it simple. I decided on pimento cheese with chopped bacon. I got this recipe from Food & Wine: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pimento-cheese-and-bacon-crostini

It reminds me of my mom who loves pimento cheese and everything is better with bacon.

I have to say that I have a link on my blog to Everyday Champagne and if you have not checked out Abbey's blog yet you are missing out. She is a very creative and talented cook, wife and mom who constantly blows me and my cooking away. She posted a recipe for a pimento cheese cheesecake that I can't wait to make. Abigail is graduating from high school in a couple of weeks and I will make it when all the family are here. Check out Abbey's site.

These toasts were great with champagne and wine and we spread it on crackers when we finished the toasts. A drink had become multiple glasses by then.

Pimento Cheese & Bacon Crostini my way

2 1/2 cups finely grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
2 1/2 cups finely grated extra-sharp orange cheddar cheese
One 7-ounce jar pimientos, drained and finely chopped
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, pressed
cayenne pepper to taste
1 baguette, sliced
4 strips cooked bacon, crumbled

Combine the white and orange cheddar cheeses. Add the chopped pimentos, mayonnaise, black pepper and garlic. Mix together. Season the pimento cheese with cayenne pepper to taste.

Preheat the oven to 400° Spread the pimento cheese on the toasts, top with the bacon and bake until the cheese is melted and browned, about 2 minutes. Serve.

This makes alot of pimento cheese. It is great leftover and definitely benefits from melting in the oven. The authors, Gina and Patrick Neely, recommend refrigerating a couple of hours before serving. I have found it is ok if you do not do this step. It is nice that it can be made ahead of time.

1 comment:

  1. Sebia. You are a doll. That's so incredibly sweet of you to mention me, and you're Crostini sound divine!! I've never put bacon with pimento cheese (why I haven't, I have no idea!!:) but it sounds incredible! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete