Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tuna Fettuccine

My friend, Cooper, came for dinner tonight. I got my hair cut after work so I needed something quick and easy. This is a great pantry meal since most of the ingredients should be on hand. I got this recipe years ago from the San Francisco Chronicle. It was one of my ex-husbands favorite dishes and we have not lived together for over 13 years. It's now one of Mike's favorites and Cooper really enjoyed it too. I could not find it on the Chronicle's website and there is not a name on so I'm sorry I can't give the right person credit.

Tuna Fettuccine my way

4 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 - 5 1/2 ounce cans Italian tuna packed in olive oil
1 pound spaghetti
1 teaspoon dried basil
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Put large serving dish in oven to warm. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy non-stick skillet until hot, almost smoking. Toss in mustard seeds and immediately cover since the seeds will pop wildly. Shake pan for 20 to 30 seconds and toss in bell pepper and tuna. Stir together and add basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep tuna sauce warm.

Cook spaghetti per instructions on package. Add pasta to sauce in pan. Turn pasta into warm bowl and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss together. Add additional pasta water if necessary. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

There will be leftovers and it is great the next day.

Strawberries for dessert

fresh strawberries, washed
1/2 cup sour cream
2-3 tablespoons brown sugar

Mix together sour cream and brown sugar. Dip strawberries in sour cream mixture.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you have mustard seeds in this dish! It sounds wonderful! And I really love your strawberry recipe..I happen to adore berries with a sweetened sour cream and I don't think a lot of people know about it-its fantastic! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete