Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Salad Nicoise

I injured a tendon in my left arm which had made it difficult to cook and type after a day of being on the computer at work. I did make a version of Salad Nicoise last night. I look forward to warm weather and main course dinner salads every year. It is finally getting warm and sunny here and I took advantage of that last night. Abigail does not like tuna so she ate hers without but otherwise liked the rest of it.

Salad Nicoise My Way:

2 small cans of tuna packed in olive oil from Italy, drained
red potatoes, halved or quartered into bite size pieces
green beans, trimmed
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced
1 small jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and cut into pieces
small ripe tomatoes, halved or quartered into bite size pieces
other items to add: roasted red bell peppers cut into strips, anchovy fillets, Nicoise olives, parsley, butter lettuce

Vinaigrette:

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon anchovy paste
kosher salt and pepper

Bring medium size pan of salted water to boil. Blanch green beans for 3-5 minutes. Remove from water and set aside. Add potatoes to boiling water and cook 20-30 minutes until tender but not falling apart. Drain and add to beans. Toss with all the salad ingredients. I like my salad mixed together but you make it composed if you like.

Combine vinaigrette ingredients and whisk until combined. Pour over salad and toss to combine. I like to serve it room temperature, not cold. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment