Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Chicken Liver Salad

Mike and I are from the South. I'm not sure that's why we love chicken livers but we do. Abigail was working tonight so I took this opportunity to make this salad. Mike stemmed the spinach for me while I swam. The rest of it comes together easily. I adapted a recipe from Food & Wine:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/green-salad-with-chicken-livers-apples-and-bacon

Chicken livers are high in protein and low in fat. They contain vitamins like A, C, B6, & B12 and minerals like copper, iron, manganese, niacin, and zinc. They are high in cholesterol so plan accordingly. This salad is great with spinach but you could use arugula or mixed greens. The spinach has lots of fiber and vitamins and minerals too as does the apple. I am trying to justify the bacon that just tastes great!

I always think of my grandmothers when I eat chicken livers because they loved them too. Maybe that's where the Southern part comes in.

Spinach Salad with Chicken Livers:

5 oz. spinach, stems removed and washed
1/2 lb. chicken livers, rinsed, cut in half and trimmed of any visible fat
3 pieces of bacon
1 small shallot, finely chopped
I medium apple, cored and chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

Put spinach and apple into salad bowl. Set aside.

Cook bacon in large skillet. When crisp remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Chop when cooled.

Strain bacon fat into glass measuring cup or bowl. Set aside.

Reduce heat to medium low and add shallots. Cook until soft. Add to salad bowl.

Spray vegetable spray in pan if necessary. Season chicken livers with salt and pepper. Add livers to pan, do not overcrowd. Cook approximately 3 minutes and turn each liver over. Cook until no longer red in center, approximately 10 minutes.

Add chicken livers and chopped bacon to salad bowl.

Mix vinegar with bacon fat and season with salt and pepper. Toss with salad. Serve while still warm.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I grew up eating liver and onions-chicken livers sauteed in a little butter with softened onions and it's delicious. I've also had chicken liver pate which is also yummy. But I have never heard of chicken livers in a salad! I'd love to say I would make it but my husband can't stand the stuff! :( Thanks for the new idea, Sebia!

    ReplyDelete