Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Curry

I found this recipe in Food & Wine by Grace Parisi, one of my favorite F&W contributors. She learned to cook Indian food from Julie Sahni. Julie wrote Classic Indian Cooking. Here's the link: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/keema-beef-curry

I liked the combo of ground meat, potatoes, coconut milk and spices. I added more vegetables to make it a one pot meal. I also did not cook any rice to go with it since the curry had potatoes in it and I bought some naan to accompany it. It would have been wonderful with rice to capture the sauce so I might leave out the potatoes if I make it again. I did not use any oil and didn't need it but it will depend on the leaness of your ground beef.

Keema Beef Curry my way

1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, peeled, cored and pressed
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cups low-sodium chicken broth
 about 1 inch peeled and grated fresh ginger
one 14 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
3 medium carrots, chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen succotash
2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 mediumYukon Gold potatoes, cut into small chunks
3/4 pound ground beef
1/2 box Pomi tomatoes, ~ 14 ounces

warm naan, for serving

Add the ground meat and cook over high heat, stirring to break up the lumps, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and curry powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes, carrots, broth, coconut milk and the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 - 20 minutes.

Add the succotash and cook just until heated through and the potatoes are fully cooked. Serve in bowls with warm naan.

This curry had a wonderful flavor and all the vegetables made it a meal in a bowl. The warm naan was delicious sopping up the sauce. Mike and I really enjoyed this curry on a cold California night. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment