Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cinnamon and oatmeal-match made in heaven

This Christmas when I was buying chocolate and peppermint to make bark I picked up a bag of Hershey's cinnamon chips. http://www.hersheysstore.com/product/7688

I love cinnamon and on the back of the bag was a recipe for oatmeal cinnamon chip cookies. I love oatmeal cookies. I love them more than chocolate chip which I know is unAmerican or weird but there you have it.

I did not have a chance to make them over the holidays and Abigail and Mike weren't too interested in trying them so the bag was languishing in my pantry until yesterday. Here's my take on the Hershey's recipe.

Oatmeal Cinnamon Chips cookies my way

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
(If I had thought of it before I began making the cookies I would tried substituting 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce for 1 stick of butter to cut down on fat al la Everyday Champagne banana bread recipe)
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon Jameson's whiskey (I ran out of vanilla)
1 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
(not in the recipe and I didn't think to add it but the cookies would have benefited from 1 teaspoon kosher salt)
2 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 10 ounce package Hershey's cinnamon chips



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In standing mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar. Scrape down bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and Jameson's. In a bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix in until combined. Scrape down bowl. Add in oatmeal and chips.

Drop teaspoonfuls of cookie dough onto ungreased cookie sheets and cook approximately 10 minutes until cookies are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on sheet and transfer to cooling rack. Makes about 4 dozen small cookies.

Mike is a huge chocolate chip cookie fan so these are not his favorites but he likes them enough to be eating them! I love like them-I love the chewiness of the oatmeal and would be tempted to add some more cinnamon as well as have enough vanilla next time. These are great with coffee and I wish I had had some milk. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment