Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pumpkin Bread

This is one of my old, favorite recipes that I have made over and over since before Abigail was born-more than 20 years. I remember that I got it from Pacific Sun, a freebie local paper but can not credit the original cook. Sorry about that but I have lost the clipping. Here's link at their website if you're interested in the paper, I still pick it every week http://www.pacificsun.com/. I made 5 mini loaves around Halloween and gave as gifts to some friends from Abigail's elementary school days. Then I made 2 large loaves, one I took to work and the other I gave to our neighbors who are expecting their 2nd baby. I just made 2 more large loaves that I'm going to freeze and send back to Abigail in NY and my parents in NC. I don't know why I so obsessed with it right now except that makes your house smell amazing and it is delicious. I'm into making it without nuts, raisins or anything else these days but I have added those in the past and it is good that way. I have also thought of putting a cream cheese frosting on it but it doesn't really need it.

Pumpkin Bread my way

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups canned pumpkin
~6 tablespoons water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2-9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans or 5 mini foil loaf pans and sprinkle with flour. Tip pans to evenly coat with flour and knock out excess.

Combine the dry ingredients and set aside.

In a deep mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs in one at a time and then add the pumpkin.

Add the dry ingredients about 1 cup at a time. After the cup of dry ingredients is fully incorporated add 2 tablespoons water and beat. Repeat with the remaining dry ingredients and water, 1 cup and 2 tablespoons at a time. Beat well after each addition.

Pour batter into pans and gently shake pans to distribute batter evenly (the batter is delicious by the way, feel free to lick the beaters). Bake in the middle of the oven for about 55 minutes for the large loaves and about 45 minutes for the small ones depending on your oven and until the sides of the loaves shrink away from the pans and a cake tester comes out of the center cleanly. Do not fill the pans full as these loaves rise and will overflow.

Cool on wire racks.

This bread is incredibly moist and not too sweet. It is delicious alone or toasted with cream cheese. Mike is not a pumpkin pie fan and loves this bread. The loaves make great homemade gifts or hostess gifts during the holidays. I plan on making more and might add raisins, pecans, walnuts or even chopped dried apricots. Experiment and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment