Monday, November 7, 2011

My Southern roots are showing

I found a recipe for a slow cooker braised pork. I don't have a crock pot so I took the flavors and ingredients and adapted it for the oven. The recipe is from eatingwell.com. Here's the link http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/slow_cooker_braised_pork_with_salsa.html

I decided to make cornbread to go with it and used an old recipe from a Southern Junior League cookbook that was my grandmother's. The pork and cornbread combo reminds me of growing up in NC and eating at my grandparents' house. So here's alittle a piece of the South with alittle South of the Border.

Braised Pork in Tomatillo Salsa my way

~2 pounds boneless pork butt, trimmed and cut into pieces
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons cumin
kosher salt and pepper
~2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
~2 cups white wine
~2 cups chicken stock
1 red onion, sliced
2 large garlic cloves, peeled, cored and pressed
3 tomatoes, sliced
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 jar tomatillo salsa (pick your heat level)
optional garnishes: chopped cilantro, sour cream, chopped green onions, shredded Monterey jack cheese or queso fresco

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put flour, cumin and salt and pepper into ziplock bag. Add pork, seal and shake until the pork is well coated.

Heat oil in large pan able to go on stove and into oven. Shake excess flour off of pork and add to pan. Brown pork over medium heat on all sides. Remove from pan.

Pour in more oil if too dry. Add onions and cook until they begin to soften. Add garlic and cook a couple of minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until they begin to fall apart. Add wine and let simmer about 4-5 minutes until sauce thickens. Stir in chicken stock and salsa. Add pork.

Cover pan and place in oven. Bake for ~2 hours until pork is fall apart tender. I made this the day before and reheated it.

Serve in bowls with any desired garnishes.

Zola's cornbread from Furniture City Feasts High Point, NC Junior League Cookbook 1974

1 cup corn meal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs
1/2 vegetable oil
1/2 can creamed corn
1/2 container light sour cream
1 tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix all ingredients together. Pour into large cast iron skillet sprayed with vegetable spray. Cook for approximately 20-25 minutes until the cornbread pulls away from the sides and is golden brown. Serve with butter.

Mike and I really enjoyed this and the cornbread was wonderful with it. Cold weather comfort food. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting Zola's cornbread recipe! I've been trying to recreate it for a year or more! My original copy was handwritten and tacked inside the pantry door at my parents' home when they bought it in the late 1970's ... in High Point. When I was a child, I remember Zola's delicious baked goods since she cooked and baked for my friend's family. She simply was the best, and her recipe for cornbread is one fine example. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete