Monday, March 12, 2012

Sausages and onions and peppers

Something started me thinking about sausages, onions and peppers lately, not sure what. I used to make this dish frequently. My ex loved it. I think I stopped because it was greasy using Italian sausages made with beef and pork. I hadn't thought about revisiting it using chicken or turkey sausages until recently. Using those poultry sausages with vegetables or fruit for moisture cuts down on alot of the fat and if you read labels you can pick out some decent ones. I like Saags http://www.saags.com/pc/viewProducts.asp?Category=c3.Naturals Sausages&ProdSort=&page=3
and Aidells http://www.aidells.com/ and used Aidells Organic Spinach & Feta sausages made with chicken for this dish but there are all kinds out there.

I decided to pair it with polenta, something else I hadn't made in a long time. It reminds me of grits and that's a good thing. I was running late due to the time change and was worried that I had let too much time get away from me but when I looked at my bag of polenta I was reassured that it would only take about 25 minutes to cook. Perfect timing to cook my frozen sausages and get the peppers and onions soft and alittle caramelized. It took me maybe 45 minutes to chop and cook everything and it was a delight.

Sausages, onions and peppers over polenta

your favorite sausage like Aidells Spinach & Feta, fresh or frozen
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips (or green, yellow or some combination)
kosher salt and pepper to taste
1-2 cup dry white wine
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup polenta
1 tablespoon butter
~1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese

Bring the stock to boil in large pan and start cooking your sausages in water in cast iron pan and bring to a boil (not non-stick). Heat olive oil over medium heat in saute pan and add onions. Saute until they begin to soften and add peppers.



Turn down the heat on the sausages to simmer. When the stock begins to boil slowly pour in your polenta and whisk until there are no lumps. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook approximately 25 minutes, stirring frequently.



After cooking onions and peppers about 15 minutes raise the heat a bit and add some wine. Reduce it and season with salt and pepper. Let the wine cook out and begin to brown the peppers and onions.

When most of the water has evaporated from the sausages add some wine and let reduce until it has evaporated and brown the sausages.



When the polenta is thick and all the stock has been absorbed, add the butter and whisk until melted and incorporated. Remove from the heat, add the grated cheese and whisk until melted into polenta.


Serve in bowls with the sausages and onion mixture on top of the polenta. Pour yourself a glass of the white wine to enjoy with it.

This was most lovely comfort food, dinner in a bowl. Some fresh parsley or basil would have been a nice touch for color and taste, maybe next time. We felt warm and cozy eating this dinner. You could grill the sausages, onions and peppers in the nice weather and do the same thing serving them over polenta that has been cooked, cooled and cut into pieces then grilled to heat up. Looking forward to it already. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment