Thursday, March 1, 2012

Another Friday night....

So it was Friday night again and we thought we'd have a drink at our neighborhood spot but first I made dinner. I wanted to try a smoked trout salad. I had tried one before and Mike wasn't crazy about it but I thought I could find a combination that he would like. Here's the link to the recipe I tried from Food & Wine by Nick Fauchald. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/smoked-trout-salad-with-apple-and-manchego

It had been warm and sunny here. The restaurant around the corner from my office, Comforts in downtown San Anselmo, makes a wonderful smoked trout salad with arugula and potatoes. Whenever they make it several of us run over to nab it for lunch. I was starting to think of spring-longer days, warmer weather and salads. Smoked trout salad was on my mind and this version sounded delicious.

Smoked Trout Salad with Apple and Manchego my way

3 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 small heads of frisée, torn into bite-size pieces
2 small smoked trout fillets, broken into small pieces and any bones removed
~3 ounces Manchego cheese, coarsely shredded
1 Black Arkansas apple, cored and cut into thin slices
small handful Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced

In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the cider vinegar and olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, combine the frisée with the trout, Manchego, apple, parsley and red onion. Add the dressing and toss to coat.

Mike loved this salad! First of all it had mayonnaise in it. He's crazy about the stuff and I'm not. So he was impressed that I would use it. Second of all he liked the apple and cheese.  This was a lovely salad, the smokiness of the trout was wonderful with the apple and cheese. After our delicious dinner of salad and warm bread and butter we headed off for a drink. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment