Wednesday, February 8, 2012

New ways with lettuce

I am working my way through the Bon Appetit February issue and saved Stir-Fried Lettuces with Crispy Shallots for last. Stir fried lettuce reminded me of something my mom used to make-Scaled Lettuce. It's a recipe from my great grandmother. My mom loved it but the rest of my family were not fans. So  I was curious about cooked lettuce but not sure if I was going to like it. I got the scalded lettuce recipe from my mom for comparison. I made the BA recipe tonight and will try hers another night. I also Googled stir fried lettuce and saw that it is a popular Chinese dish. Here's the BA link http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/quick-recipes/2012/02/stir-fried-lettuces-with-crispy-shallots.

Stir-Fried Lettuces with Crispy Shallots my way

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large shallot, thinly sliced 
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 pound pepperoni, salami or Chinese sausage, sliced and quartered
large garlic cloves, peeled, cored and thinly sliced 
small knob ginger, peeled and minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili  flakes
~1/3 head coarsely chopped iceberg lettuce
1 bunch watercress, stems removed
cup cooked brown rice cooked in chicken stock

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add shallots; cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove with a spatula to a paper towel-lined pan and season lightly with salt and pepper.
Increase heat to medium; add pepperoni and next 3 ingredients to same skillet; stir for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup chicken stock. Increase heat to medium-high; add lettuce and watercress and cook, tossing often, just until wilted, 1–2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle fried shallots over. Serve with brown rice.

Here's my great grandmother's recipe via my mom, Nenie

Nannie Kesler's Scalded lettuce

head of lettuce better if it is home grown
4 strips bacon
saute 1/2 chopped onion in some of drippings
mix and add to drippings 1 egg, 1/2 -1 C. milk, 1T. vinegar ,salt,
pepper, little sugar
Cook until curdled
Pour over chopped lettuce, crumble bacon over
Eat immediately
Have cornbread to sop up left over liquid

The stir fried lettuce was very good and I can't wait to try my family's recipe and will definitely make some cornbread to go with it. Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment