Sunday, February 26, 2012

More dinner for 8...

In my last entry I blogged about our dinner party last weekend. I included recipes for the crab bread pudding and chocolate pudding. I also made a green salad with butter lettuce, cucumber, green onions and avocado. The dressing was a Green Goddess. I believe Green Goddess dressing is one of those recipes that has many variations. I used a recipe fron Bon Appetit by Molly Wizenberg as a starting point. It's a beautiful green color and was delicious. Here's the link http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2009/05/green_goddess_dressing?printable=true

Green Goddess Dressing my way

1/2 ripe medium avocado
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon anchovy paste
teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon sugar
small handful fresh Italian parsley, chopped
small handful chives, snipped into small pieces
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 small shallot, chopped
~1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup half and half
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Blend first 9 ingredients in food processor until coarse puree forms. Add oil through feed tube; blend well. Whisk in cream. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.

This is clean, fresh tasting dressing that you can use many different combinations of herbs in. I decided to make it at the last minute so I did not have the fresh tarragon, cilantro and basil that the original recipe called for. I substituted the parsley and chives I did have and threw in dried tarragon. Use your favorite herbs. I also forgot to add the vinegar specified. It tasted good but I will add 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar next time. Check out Molly's recipe on bonappetit.com. This dressing would be delicious as a dip for steamed broccoli, cauliflower, carrots or any other vegetables you could dip like endive, celery or green beans.

I'm going to make it again tonight for the Oscars. I think I'll throw some steamed broccoli into the salad. I hope your favorite movie wins tonight. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment