Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mom's Turkey Tetrazzini


This dish is one of my family's favorites. We also called it chicken spaghetti, although my mom now prefers capellini. My sister and I always ask my mom to make it. My brother-in-law loves it and so does Mike. Abigail also asks for it when she visits my parents. I don't usually make it because I like it when my mom makes it for me but I had some leftover turkey breast and homegrown tomatoes from a friend and this dish could use up both. Plus it was rainy and cold here and this is the perfect comfort food. Of course I had to California-ize it because I wanted to use fresh ingredients and not canned. My mom will also cook a whole chicken to make this dish but leftovers work great too. This recipe makes alot but you'll be glad for the leftovers or invite your friends and family over.

Mom's Turkey Tetrazzini my way

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups skim milk
5 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
6-8 fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
6-8 large mushrooms, sliced
1/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 pound chopped cooked turkey or chicken
12 ounces capellini
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
~1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Bring large pot of salted water to boil.

Bechamel sauce:

Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add 3 tablespoons flour and whisk for 3 minutes. Adjust heat to medium and slowly whisk in milk. Cook for 5 minutes, whisking constantly until thickened. Remove from heat. Add cheese and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter and add 2 tablespoons flour over medium low heat until tick. Add mustard and stir. Mix in tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, mushrooms, bechamel sauce, chicken stock and turkey. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for15-20 minutes.

Cook capellini for about 3 minutes until al dente. Combine pasta and sauce. Top with parmesan cheese.

Thia was delicious and hit the spot but it was not Mom's so something was lacking, maybe Campbell's cream of mushroom soup? Maybe just Mom? Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I love turkey tetrazzini! My mom used to make it every year after thanksgiving! And I think she also went the fresh instead of canned route.. Hers had a large amount of sherry in it, as I recall, which I really liked.
    Yours sounds great!

    ReplyDelete