Monday, June 28, 2010

New obsession

I have become obsessed with doré. Our neighborhood restaurant, Cafe Arrivederci, will make doré with prawns or chicken or pork. I had heard of it but I don't think I had ever tried it or really knew what it was until I saw someone eating it and knew I had to try it. Now it's all Mike & I want to order when we eat there. Their version is eggy and lemony and rich, lots of butter I think.

When I goggled it I saw many different variations with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, butter, lemon, white wine, well you get the idea. I mentioned it my cousin, Lisa, the cookbook writer and she immediately said that she & Bruce Aidells had a recipe in their book The Complete Book of Pork. I decided to try theirs first because I knew I could trust their recipe but I used boneless chicken breasts.

I served this with roasted, sliced sweet potatoes tossed with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. I started the potatoes before the chicken so they cooked while I made the doré.

Chicken Doré my way

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
1 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 lemon

Place chicken breasts between plastic wrap and pound with meat mallet until about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Season both sides of the meat with salt and pepper. Put the flour in a shallow bowl and the eggs in another. Lightly beat the eggs.

Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.

Dip each breast first in the flour then in the eggs. Add breasts to skillet and cook until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes. Turn over and cook another 3 minutes. Transfer breasts to a warm plate.

Add capers and sage to skillet. Stir to combine. Squeeze lemon juice into skillet. Drizzle sauce over the breasts.

I look forward to trying it with prawns. If you use prawns, shell them, devine them and butterfly them before cooking. If you have questions please let me know. I think I might add alittle butter to the sauce next time.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, I've never had dore. This sounds like a wonderful twist on a picatta... i love the thought of sage with the capers. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete