Sunday, April 29, 2012

Lemons!

My friend Jane brought me Meyer lemons from her brother's yard, a specialty, where I live. Meyer lemons are alittle sweeter than regular lemons with darker pulp and an orangey essence. They are wonderful in desserts. Ann Sheaffer Gilbert on Facebook Foodies had posted a lemon ricotta cake and now I had Meyer lemons and ricotta from the Torta Pasqualina left over. I love lemon desserts. They are probably my favorite, more than chocolate.

Meyer Lemon Ricotta cake

9 tablespoons insalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
pinch kosher salt
1 cup ricotta
zest of 1 Meyer lemon
1 Tablespoon baking powder
powdered sugar to decorate

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter 9 or 10 inch spring form pan. Cream the butter and sugar together in a standing mixer until light and fluffy. On the lowest speed, add the eggs one at a time. Slowly add the next 5 ingredients.

Pour the batter into the pan, smooth the top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and the side start to pull away from the pan.

Cool the cake on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove the sides of the pan and cool completely on the rack. Sift powdered sugar onto the top. I used a stencil to make a pattern.



Variation #1

I peeled and chopped 1 mango. Then processed with a few pulses in a food processor. I added the mango to the batter and mixed it in thoroughly. I cooked it for about 5 minutes longer.



The first cake went to our neighbors and the second one was for Mike and I. I actually have more ricotta so might try it again. It's light and not too sweet. It would be wonderful with fresh fruit or in the morning with coffee. Thanks to the wonderful cooks from Facebook Foodies and in my life for constant inspiration. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment