Friday, December 30, 2011

Baking in the empty nest

Abigail left for the east coast and a quick New Years in Europe this week and the house is very quiet. I started cleaning up and taking down decorations today and the house just seems quieter and more empty. So I decided to bake! The wonderful and talented Abbey from Everyday Champagne posted a recipe for banana bread with peanut butter chips. I meant to make it while Abigail was here but there was just too many Christmas goodies around. Here's the link to Abbey's blog http://everydaychampagne.blogspot.com/2011/12/peanut-butter-banana-bread.html. Please check out her blog she is very creative and has fabulous ideas and tips. I love the way she added unsweetened applesauce here and cut back on sugar to make a healthier bread. I added the oatmeal for the flavor and the chewy texture and it goes well with the bananas and peanut butter.



Abbey's Peanut Butter Banana Bread my way

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 large eggs
3 very ripe bananas
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cupped rolled oats
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 4 mini loafs pans with vegetable spray or 1 large loaf pan.

Mix your flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.

In a standing mixer, cream your butter and applesauce until smooth. Add in your eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add in bananas and brown sugar and mix well. Add in your dry ingredients and mix until just combined, but be careful to not overmix.

Remove mixer bowl from stand and fold in your peanut butter chips and oatmeal.

Pour into your prepared pans. Bake for ~30 minutes, or until the edges are a golden brown, the top of the loaf is firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out relatively clean.

Cool in the pans for 15 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature.

I love peanut butter and bananas and the combination sounded perfect in a quick bread. I made the small loaves to give a couple away and Mike and I tried one while it was still alittle warm-heaven! Thank you Abbey. I think I'll need to make more and send to Abigail once she starts her new college in January, the University of Vermont. I just wish I could figure out a way that it could arrive hot! She'll need the warmth. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment