Monday, January 24, 2011

Jamie Oliver's Tray Baked Chicken

I love one pot meals and chicken so when I saw this recipe in Parade magazine on Sunday I knew it was for me. Apparently Jamie Oliver does too because this is his recipe. http://www.dashrecipes.com/blogs/dashboard/2011/01/23-Sunday-Dinner-Jamie-Oliver.html

I cut it down for Mike and I since Abigail has gone back to school. I started brining the chicken on Sunday night since I was going to work Monday morning and would get back too late to start it. This made it easy to do the rest today when I got home from work.

Jamie Oliver's chicken my way

The brine:
1 quart water
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/3 cup honey
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 sprigs fresh sage, leaves only
1/4 cup white vinegar

The bake:
2 chicken breasts, bone in
2 slices smoked bacon, finely chopped
1 sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
1/2 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
2 sprigs fresh sage, leaves shredded
Olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup half & half

Mix brine in a large zip lock bag; add chicken. Refrigerate overnight or 2 to 8 hours. Place bag in a bowl if there is any doubt it will hold the brine and chicken.

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a glass baking dish, toss the bacon, veggies, garlic, and sage with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour in broth. Cook 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove chicken from refrigerator; let come to room temperature. Drain chicken, discarding brine, and pat dry with paper towels.

Remove veggie pan from oven; pour in cream and sprinkle with pepper. Add chicken. Cook 35 minutes, or until chicken is golden.

Mike could not stop raving about this dish-a huge hit. Thank you Jamie Oliver!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment