Sunday, December 12, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

I made soup with the leftover butternut squash from the curried chicken with roasted vegetables. I had a little over half of the large squash left. I put the pieces in the fridge until I was ready to make the soup. This is one of our favorites and I always make it several times each winter. I served to my friend, Cooper, and she liked it so much she said she wanted to bathe in it. Instead I gave the leftovers to her to take home.

My Butternut Squash Soup

1/2 - 3/4 of a large butternut squash, scoop out seeds
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
5-6 cups of chicken stock
1/2 red onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon cardamon
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Rub olive oil on cut side of squash. Season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on cookie sheet. Roast at 400 degrees until flesh is soft and peel is brown and bubbly, about 40 minutes. Let cool.

Heat olive oil in large sauce pan. Add onion and saute until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook until soft and fragrant. Peel the squash. Cut into bite sizes and add to onions. Add spices and chicken stock. Bring to boil. Let simmer for about 30 minutes. Add more stock if too thick. Season with salt and pepper.

Puree soup with hand held blender or in food processor or blender. A few chunks are fine. You can make this 1-2 days in advance. You can also freeze it.

I served this with the crab, avocado and grapefruit salad from a couple of days ago and warm bread. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Butternut squash is a favorite of mine. I love that you used cardamom in it, you don't see too much of that and it's such a great spice. I would also like to bath in this.

    ReplyDelete